[O365] Migrating InfoPath forms to Office 365

For a client, we’re currently migrating a lot of their existing on-premises SharePoint 2007 and 2010 solutions to Office 365. All of these are customized (the easy work has been done already), so that sort of guarantees running into stuff that is not Office 365 – ready. One category of items are InfoPath forms and I noticed there’a quit a lack of blog posts on this topic so I thought I’d try to fill that gap a bit.

For those not aware; Microsoft has officially said InfoPath doesn’t have a future. Even though they recently extended support for it, you can assume that there will not be any further improvements / updates to the product. Best evidence of this is the Infopath team at Microsoft being non-existent (at the moment). Still, instead of finding a different solution, you can very well port your existing forms to Office 365 (to some extent, more about that below). That might be worth while until Microsoft announces an official roadmap for forms in SharePoint / Office 365.

Read More

[O365] SharePoint Search dropdown refiner template

In my previous O365 post, I showed how you can make use of jQuery and jQuery UI to make a search refiner filter template that supports autocomplete on the “other” textbox shown in a multivalued dropdown. With that idea in mind, I imagined it would be pretty easy to use the same concept to create a filter template that shows a dropdown list with possible filter values. And it turns out it is pretty simple, so here are the steps. Read More

[O365] Autocomplete on taxonomy refiners

For a customer project I’m on we’re making use of search to surface pages stored in SharePoint Online. On a predefined search results page, refiners make it easier for users to get to the page they are searching for. Refiners are linked to managed search properties and those are linked to crawled properties. In this case, the field crawled is a managed metadata taxonomy field and the values of that field come from a metadata termset. The problem is that this termset is pretty big because it contains all of the countries worldwide. This is what the refiner looks like:

taxonomyrefiner

So what if a user is searching for ‘Switzerland’? Hmmm. Well he or she could click ‘Other Value’ and type in what they are looking for. The problem here is that the value needs to exactly match the term and your user might not have a clue about the values in the termset. Countries is doable, but other labels might be harder to guess.

refiner_switzer

See how I typed in ‘switzer’ and SharePoint is now refining on that value. Items tagged with ‘Switzerland’ do not appear this way, our end-user is left in doubt. So wouldn’t it be nice to have autocomplete on the textbox so the user is guided in their search? That’s exactly what we proposed to our customer and what I will detail in this blog post.

Read More

[SP] Constructing a “Manage site metadata navigation” link

If you’re aware of Managed Metadata Navigation, you might also know the hyperlink within the navigation settings which allows you to edit the sites’ navigation termset. Now first thing you should know is that that link is often broken out of the box. When you click it, you *should* only get the navigation termset and nothing else. But more than often, you’re taken to the full termstore manager displaying everything instead.  Read More

[O365] Provisioning: spmeta2 vs O365 PnP provisioning

These days, provisioning is quite a hot topic in the land of Office 365 and SharePoint. So let’s start with a simple question: what exactly is provisioning? I don’t have a clean cut definition for you, but my personal view would be something like: “Provisioning for SharePoint is the process of deploying solution components in an intelligent way.”. What I mean by intelligent is: things are not just placed and/or overwritten, but logic ensures everything is in place, linked, updated, etc.  Read More

[O365] Enable document ID and set prefix via CSOM

Ok, I agree I’m late to the party introducing the [O365] tag in the title of this post. And I’ve got quite some blogposts already which also apply to Office 365. But to emphasize there is little difference in using CSOM either on premises or online, I thought this would be a good time to switch. And mentioning you’re doing Office 365 project is all hip and happening anyway, so here it is.

This simple post gives you some code which shows how to set the Document ID settings via CSOM. It’s not hard, but since I haven’t been able to find any blogs out there which cover this, I thought I’d take the opportunity. Read More