SharePoint 2010 grouped view bug

Last week I updated several farms with SP1 and the June 2011 CU. After updating, several users reported problems with grouped list views. After some investigation, the problems can be easily reproduced:

– Create or open an existing list which contains a grouped view
– Expand one of the groups to show data
– Reload the page

SharePoint will remember which group you had unfolded and tries to unfold it again. This fails and the JavaScript code fails miserably. This renders the entire page useless, because it also means things like the ribbon don’t work any more. Furthermore: the problem persists when you reload the page or leave the page and reopen it. When you’ve got multiple tabs open in IE, closing the tab and reopening won’t fix it either. The only remedy is closing your entire browser session and reopening a new one. To prevent the error from happening, make sure you close up every group before leaving the page; that way SharePoint won’t try to reopen anything and thus not crash.

I’ve reported this bug to SharePoint support and we’re working on a solution. Will update here when there is one available.

 

Update 11-08-2011

In collaboration with MS support, we’ve found the cause of the problem and a fix for it. Be aware that this is not an official fix, but one will be made available asap.

The problem isn’t caused by SP1, but by the SP1 language packs. So all English environments without any language packs installed won’t be affected by these problems. The SP1 update installs newer javascript files in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\1033 directory. You can check that by opening up INIT.debug.js; the header should contain version number 14.0.6009.

Now check the same directory for your language pack, in my case C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\1043. Open up the INIT.debug.js file in that folder and notice that the version number now reads 14.0.4762. The language packs contain an outdated version of the js files and that’s what causes problems.

 

The fix? Just copy the INIT.js and INIT.debug.js files from your 1033 (EN) folder to the other languages available on your system. To be sure, rename the files first (postfix with .bak or something like that) so you can alway restore them when nescessary. Also be aware of the fact that some of the messages this file creates (warnings and stuff like that) will now be in English instead of your own language. I assume the fix Microsoft is creating will copy the proper versions of the affected .js files to the correct folders, in the correct language of course.

 

Update 8-09-2011

The official hotfix is here! Download it here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2553117/en-us.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *