[Azure] Local Service Fabric cluster won’t hit debug breakpoints
Today one in the “what the heck!?”-category. I had setup a freshly installed VM with Service Fabric SDK and Visual Studio, to debug a Service Fabric application. When I ran the app from VS, it got deployed into Service Fabric, all lights green. But weirdly, none of my breakpoints in Visual Studio were hit. So I tried numerous things like checking the debug profile in VS, rebuilding, removing the application, etc. etc. All to no avail.
When I tried resetting the cluster itself, I got the following error:
Exception calling "SetAccessRule" with "1" argument(s): "This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified."
Access Control Lists are usually tied to folders, but of course this very helpful error does not include the actual folder. In the event log, a number of warnings were also feature, like:
End(Delete): Store:Store\Application1Type, Error:FABRIC_E_FILE_NOT_FOUND
Hmmm ok… again not that helpful. I’ll spare the Google query I’ve undertaken and skip to the end result:
Add the “ServiceFabricAdministrators” and “ServiceFabricAllowedUsers” groups to C:\SFDevCluster with Full Control permissions. Those groups were not there in my case and once added, everything started behaving normally again. So not sure why they were not there, but adding them fixed everything. You’ll need to reset your cluster to get everything working afterwards.
December 24, 2019 at 6:34 pm |
Thanks for the article. Found it by googling the issues. In the last paragraph you have a typo, it’s “ServiceFabricAllowedUsers”, not “ServiceFabricUsers”
April 1, 2020 at 6:27 pm |
Thanks for pointing that out, I’ve updated the text!
November 22, 2021 at 11:07 am |
Thanks, I was searching for this solution.
In my case, the initial cluster setup failed with the same error you’ve got, but once I fixed the folder permissions, everything went smooth.